Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day Two

Dearest darlingest grosse pointe north,
I remember why I don't like you so much. Why I get restless and look up plane tickets to Africa leaving that night. To be honest, I never really forgot. But you won't break me, oh no. I am determined to have an intense, interesting, and challenging year, whether you like it or not. So consider yourself cordially warned, to day was only a warm up day.
Warmest regards,
your ex-bff Kelly

As an overachiever, I haven't taken many tutorials in high school. Only one, in fact. But this year I have two (really independent studies): one which is overwhelmingly black and the other as white as a banana rice treat. It'll take more research to figure out if this is a general rule throughout the school, or if I'm just making a hasty generalization. I really hope that I'm wrong, and my school isn't stuck in the 60's, but I doubt it. More on this, and possible courses of action, later.

In the first tutorial, I met a highschooler covered in tattoos. This is a very un-grosse pointe sight, maybe the first I've ever seen. So I asked him about it, and they are all as rich in symbolism as an AP Lang impromptu. He's also religious, with his sister depicted as a guardian angel and a rosary cloaking his left bicep.

Presence is about a nine. I stayed focused on goals, but engaged in some pretty idle babble and ended the day counting down the minutes. Although I probably only spent an hour like this, it's still time that I was merely existing, which means I have to find a way to eliminate it.

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment