the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac
After two consecutive summer adventures in the thrid world, I'm settling down to my final year of high school in good ol' grosse pointe--a racist, pretentious suburb of what remains of Detroit. Last year I had a lot of fun starting fires with my radical opinions, but I lost more of the vivacity of travel than I'm cool with. Realizing that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again, expecting different result, I'm holding myself accountable this year--via this blog.
As I prepare a distilled essence of Kelly for Ivy League admissions officers, this may be the most advanced procrastination I've ever achieved. But regardless of the motives, my first job is to make some goals to narrow down lofty aspirations like... improvement, hope, intention, honesty...
1. No buying new things. This comes directly from knowing my Cambodian sister's eductation costs $300 a semester and they might not be able to aford it. I refuse to waste money on GP's prerequisit materialism
2. Honesty. I've mastered verbal honesty with others, and it made my life so much awesomer. So now it's time to take it to the next level: no judgement, no tolerating gossip, no comparisons. Let's throw in mean sarcasm too. But only tenatively.
3. No wishing. If you want it, make it happen. Enjoy exactly where you are in life. If it can't happen right now, change that or let it go.
4. Connnect. Really dissect these people. Understand the underpinnings of this strange society by regularly giving yourself questions and finding answers. Definately one this blog will force me to do.
5. Help people. The human experience is so interconnected. I didn't get to where I am now without the influence of countless other. Pay it forward.
Seems like a good place to start.
Love always, Kelly
No comments:
Post a Comment